Monday, April 20, 2009

Helmets

As Bridget points out, helmet-hair is hot, but so few people relish the opportunity to wear them. I'll admit that cool air flowing through your hear feels great on a warm summer day, it pales in comparison to how good not having a closed head injury feels. So few bikers, other than the hardcore, spandex wearing variety seem to wear helmets, despite their proven benefits. Of the 13 celebs featured in Treehugger's Our Favorite Girl Celebrities on Bikes, only Blade Runner's Daryl Hannah is shown wearing a helmet:

Though I am sure we can all agree Ellen Page has a pretty sweet ride:


I'm currently commuting to work on my bike and sporting a pretty ugly and dangerously antiquated helmet. I'm in the market for a new helmet and wondering if you, gentle readers, have any input. Do you always slap a helmet on your dome when you bike? Why, or why not? What would your dream helmet be?

7 comments:

GH said...

I always wear a helmet because they made us watch movies in 3rd grade that demonstrated what happens when you don't where a helmet and you get hit by a car or whatever. Traumatizing!

My dream helmet would be one that doesn't require me to have to fix my hair when I get to campus. Currently this entails me keeping some hair gel in my locker and asking someone if my hair is ok. I guess I need one of those locker mirrors too...

Ben Connor Barrie said...

Have you notices that the "Bike Lane" symbol in Ann Arbor features the outline of a biker wearing a helmet?

Also, I saw a biker yesterday who had glued the bottom of a broom to the top of his helmet so that he looked like a Roman solider, sortof.

lizzy said...

cool kids in the mission seem to favor these bmx/skate helmets:
http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/productDetail.asp?prodID=8

Melissa said...

I have many reasons to not wear a bike helmet, including:

1) i would rather not use my meager funds for safety precautions.
2) i forget to look for a helmet.
3) I have a lot of hair and usually wear it in a bun that is impossible to fasten a helmet to while retaining any safety value.
4) I have ridden a bike for 18 years without any serious injuries.

While none of these reasons are rational, I suppose until I can view the damage in a close friend or family, or traumatizing class video, I will continue to ride the fine line between life and death.

Jonathan said...

i wear a helmet because A.) i am the hardcore spandex wearing variety, and B.) i have crashed my bike and my helmet probably prevented a closed head injury, because my helmet broke instead of my head.

i personally prefer the Giro helmets...but i also prefer spandex...

Ben Connor Barrie said...

I'm totally going to get a "sparkle magenta" Bell helmet.

bridget.s said...

If anyone is looking for a beautiful Bianchi Rollo (for a shorter woman) to accompany their bicycle helmet... shamelessly unprofessionally I'll say I know a seller.